At Bennett Christmas we know there are many cheap car insurance deals online but they’re rarely as good as they sound and often come with clauses, like a huge excess. We believe in robust insurance, which is adequate, keeps your costs as low as possible but pays out if you need it to.
Unlike many online insurance providers, we’re on the end of the phone if you need to call us and, because we’re not a huge, impersonal call centre, you’ll always speak to the same friendly person wherever possible.
But we do understand that if you can make some savings that can only be a good thing, so we’ve compiled these top tips to help keep your car insurance costs low. Whether it be selecting your job description or deciding where to park your vehicle, consider the following guidance to keep your car insurance costs low.
- Get out of the garage – although you may feel more secure parking your vehicle in the garage, industry experts say this may not reduce your costs, seeing as your car faces a risk of scratching the garage walls. The cheapest option for a parking spot may be in your driveway.
- Think twice about your job title – for many people, their job can be described in several different ways. As it turns out, insurers tend to assign higher premiums to different titles, based on a complex algorithm method. Typically, it pays to be as specific as possible when describing your job title instead of being generic.
- Don’t overestimate mileage – insurers typically use your expected annual mileage when calculating your premium. And while you may think you are completely accurate, industry experts say it is common for people to mistakenly overestimate their annual mileage, leading to higher insurance costs. Ensure the number you provide is correct by finding your mileage on your MOT certificate.
- Include tying the knot – if you recently changed your relationship status from single to married, be sure to inform your insurer, as this will likely lower your costs. However, just because you aren’t married doesn’t mean you can’t save. You may also achieve lower premiums by telling your insurer if you are cohabiting with your partner.
- Consider the commute – another aspect of your car insurance cost is how long your commute to work is. Make sure you provide your insurer with an accurate distance. Finally, tell your insurer if you don’t commute whatsoever—this may significantly lower costs.
If you’ve found a car insurance deal online that you want us review or you’d like us to find a policy for you, call our friendly, expert team on 01444 810 044 or email us.