Instead of scouring your area looking for the cheapest petrol and diesel prices, follow these five simple steps to help you save on fuel costs year round:
- Remove the roof racks and boxes. Without any roof racks or boxes to slow it down, your car becomes more aerodynamic, which can save you as much as 20 per cent annually on fuel.
- Slow down. Depending on how fast you are driving, slowing down by even 10mph could save you anywhere from 10 to 25 per cent.
- Service your car. Be sure to have your car regularly serviced in order to ensure that the engine along with the car’s other mechanical parts continue to run efficiently.
- Drive sensibly. Remain aware of other drivers, the road conditions and the surrounding environment. By doing so, you can reduce how often you accelerate and how hard you break—both of which can help reduce the amount of fuel used.
- Clean out your car. A lighter car uses less fuel, so be sure to clean out any unnecessary items in your boot.