It pays to inspect your home for safety and efficiency before the summer season fully sets in. While you can complete some of these cleaning procedures yourself, other duties require professional help to ensure the work is completed accurately.
- Clean out your fridge, freezer and pantry. Take everything out, wipe down the shelves and throw away expired food. Rearrange your food for better organisation and cleanliness.
- Organise the garage. Seasonal items can quickly become dusty and disorganised when not in use. Keep your garage clean and organised by installing shelving and by hanging tools on the wall.
- Examine door and window insulation. Make sure weather stripping sufficiently seals openings, and immediately repair any cracks or peeling. Then, open your windows to expose your home to fresh air.
- Inspect your roof. The roof is your home’s first defence against heat and rain. Maintain the roof’s integrity by hiring a roofing professional to examine its flashing, caulking and shingles.
- Sort your wardrobe closet. The winter months may have left your summer clothes buried and wrinkly. Use this time to rotate seasonal clothing, clean any dusty items and select old clothes for donation.
- Maintain your garden. Rip out weeds and dead plants, rake mulch and plant beds to promote oxygenation. Then, use a lopper to trim shrubbery and overhanging trees.